Friend, drinking buddy, and occasional target of my anti-Buffalo, anti-reality-TV, pop-culture-mocking humor, Bill Ferriter tagged me in the latest meme to strike the blogosphere: #MoreHomework. I appreciate the chance to share more about me, and perhaps enhance my connections to so many of you. Now, I have to do three things:
First, I need to share 11 random facts about me that you probably don’t already know. Here goes:
- Thanks to my dad’s career in the U.S. Navy, I lived in three states and one territory (Puerto Rico) before junior high. #navybrat
- My first job was as the concessions guy at our local movie theater. I ate SO much popcorn. Yet, I still love it. #itsnotrealbutter
- I talked my wife into trading in our family’s Wii for an Xbox360. Then, I bought Skyrim and now I stay up many nights playing video games. #level20khajiit
- I have a pathological dislike for Christmas music. I can’t explain it. #humbug
- I graduated from a campus of Long Island University that doesn’t exist anymore. I still get mail asking for money. #fundraisedeyebrows
- When I was in high school, I had my photo taken next to Jean-Michel Cousteau (son of the famous marine biologist) when he came to announce a marine sciences center in the area that never materialized. #somethingsfishy
- My favorite place in the world is the coast of Maine, where I spent my honeymoon. #boothbayharbor
- I’ve always considered stand-up comedy as a backup plan if this whole education things falls through. #theresaholeinmysafetynet
- Despite a rather successful decade-plus-a-year in the classroom, I do not have a degree in education. #lateralentry
- I prefer to read nonfiction on the printed page, and fiction as ebooks. #dontreadtoomuchintoit
- I’m very bad at remembering to use hashtags when I post to Twitter and Instagram. #irony
Next, I am expected to answer 11 probing questions posed by Bill.
- Grande Soy Green Tea Frappuccino with Extra Whip or House Blend Black? Tough one. My stomach doesn’t handle black coffee very well, so I’m going to wuss out and go with the Frappuccino.
- If you were going to write a book, what would its title be? Reality TV: The Beginning of the End.
- Rate graphic novels on a scale of 1-10, with 1 representing “useless” and 10 representing “simply amazing.” 9. I am an avid comic book fan and I sincerely appreciate the format. That said, non-graphic novels require more imagination.
- What member of your digital network has had the greatest impact on your professional growth? Luke Miles, because feeling the future nipping at your heels always pushes you to climb faster and look for better ways to reach the summit.
- How do you feel about the holidays? See #4 above.
- Rate the following movies in order from best to worst: Christmas Vacation, Miracle on 34th Street, A Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated version). Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Miracle, Grinch.
- What is the best gift that you’ve ever gotten? I should be thinking of my wife and my family, right? What if I say the GameBoy I received from my friends in high school during a surprise birthday party?
- If you had an extra $100 to give away to charity, who would you give it to? Heifer International.
- What are you the proudest of? My kids. They are unique, intelligent, and creative. I didn’t do that, but I’m proud of my wife for making it happen.
- What was the worst trouble that you ever got into as a child? I used to push my teachers by talking all the time and being disrespectful. Once I got a whole week of detention.
- What was the last blog entry that you left a comment on? What motivated you to leave a comment on that entry? My own post on second chances for SmartBlogs Education. I was worried that my message wasn’t clear, so I used the comments to respond to confused readers.
Now, I come up with 11 questions for others to answer.
- If you could teach anywhere in the world (other than your current location), where would it be?
- Superman, Batman, Spiderman, or Green Lantern? Why?
- What is your favorite comedy movie of all time?
- Would you rather have the super power of invisibility or flying?
- If you could drink milkshakes with any person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be?
- Favorite dipping sauce?
- What one quality is your greatest asset?
- Put in order of most awesome to least: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, The Lone Ranger, Walker Texas Ranger, Galaxy Rangers, Army Rangers.
- What is the best way to reduce the number of school shootings in the United States?
- What mobile app do you use the most often?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how dope do you dance The Robot?
Here are the 11 bloggers I nominate to continue the More Homework meme.
- Luke Miles
- Erica Speaks
- Justin Stortz
- Justin Osterstrom (let’s get bloggin, buddy)
- Deb Teitelbaum
- Jason Lineberger
- Larry Ferlazzo
- Gretchen Schultek
- Russ Goerend
- Matt Townsley
- Jose Vilson
Here’s how it works:
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer.
- List 11 bloggers, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
- Post back here with a link after you write this. Go on, you have homework to do.