My last post spurred some discussion on Twitter and my inbox about the pros and cons of working at home. I decided to publish my list here.
+ (Things I like about working at home)
- “Drop the kids off at the pool” whenever you need to, and in a friendly bathroom.
- Midday kisses from my lovely wife (and that’s it. Nothing more. Gotta keep up the professionalism.)
- Get the most done when I have the most energy (early) and taper off as I lose focus (afternoon), unless I feel like caffeinating.
- Trying out all of the cool teleconference/video chat/collaboration tools I’ve been reading about for years
- Can stay up late playing “Skyrim” and it doesn’t affect anyone else (except maybe the barista the next morning)
△ (Things I would change if I could)
- Temptations… all of the temptations: Netflix, Hulu, iTunes Radio, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn…
- The guilt I feel about leaving the 97 boys that I most recently taught
- The feeling that I’m “always on” and my own difficulty switching out of work mode
- The way I can’t seem to go more than an hour without a bathroom break
- The look others give you when you say, “I work from home now”. It’s half jealousy and half this:
The Bottom Line? I don’t want my Work-at-Home experience to play out like The Oatmeal predicts.